The chapel was dedicated in and gifted to the Yellowstone Presbytery in 1965, by the Crete Dillon and John W. Bowman family of Sterling, Illinois, to the glory of God, and in remembrance of their son, Timothy Dillon Bowman, who died in 1956 at the age of eighteen. St. Timothy’s Memorial Chapel was constructed on a hillside six hundred feet above Georgetown Lake, at the ghost town of Southern Cross, near Anaconda, Montana.
Harrison Ray Anderson D.D. of Fourth Presbyterian Church of Chicago was summer pastor for ten years, followed by Dr. Joseph McCabe, president emeritus of Coe College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa and Cal DeVries D.D. of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
The summer ministry is made possible by Sunday offerings, wedding fees, gifts from friends of the Chapel, and volunteer assistance from committee members and others.
St. Timothy’s Summer Music Festival offers concerts in the chapel to residents and tourists of the Georgetown Lake area and nearby cities in a superb acoustical setting with a spectacular view of the Pintlar Mountains and Georgetown Lake.
More on the concert series can be found on the Festival website here.
Southern Cross is a historic ghost town. Go here for more information on this historic site.